Sunday, April 15, 2012

Philly Bead Fest

I've been attending the Philly Bead Fest for 6 years now; as student, a vendor, an instructor and of coarse, always a shopper! My best find this year? THE most comprehensive book on jewelry making I think I've ever seen; in addition to covering the basics (soldering, riveting, texturing, etc.) it provides info you might not find outside a college level fine arts program. Want to know about marrying metals? It's in there. Reticulation? In there. Electroforming? Well, you get the idea. Seriously, the best $40 I spent all weekend.

This was also the first year I taught classes. I had 5 students for "Scribble Cuffs and Doodle Rings" and 10 for "Textured Copper Cuffs". Both went smoothly, I didn't forget any required tools or materials (being an obsessive list maker has it's upside), and all the students left on time and with finished projects. Whew....


Earlier this year I hooked up with Gina Galli of the Jewelry Making Professor and arranged to shoot some videos at their studio in Philly. This is me, on the set. And yes, I am a jewelry nerd......

And the icing on the cake? I got to spend some time with my Dad! :-)

14 comments:

  1. Your textured copper cuffs class ROCKED! I really enjoyed the class and can't wait to apply my newly acquired knowledge. Thank you for a brilliant three hours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathleen, I so enjoyed having you in the class! :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Eva! Eri and I really enjoyed having you at our studio! Thanks for the great projects you did for us. Looking forward to many more!

    Take care.
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brett, my Dad and I enjoyed meeting you and your lovely wife and I look forward to working with you! I will check on that other info you sent, probably later this week as I am playing catchup after being gone for 5 days.... :)

      Delete
  3. LOVELY work -- and am I seeing things, or is your hair blue? Mine's half pink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori! My hair is grey as I am too lazy to keep up with coloring....I think the studio lighting may make it look a bit blue... :-)

      BTW, your pink hair is fab!!!!

      Delete
  4. Lovely bracelets, Eva! I had a student who attended your Textured cuff class - looks so lovely!
    What a pity I did not meet you this time unlike in Tucson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Albina! Will you be back in August? Perhaps we can meet then! :-)

      Delete
    2. No, but I will go to Texas. Will you?

      Delete
    3. not going to Texas this year, but hopefully we will meet again in Tucson at the jewelry tools tent! :-)

      Delete
  5. Oh, I wish I had introduced myself to you while there. Your class projects are really great - I love the heft and width of your scribbles wire cuff. Congrats on teaching your first Bead Fest classes! That is GREAT that you spent some time while there with your Dad - love the photo of the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your kind words Cindy! Perhaps we can meet in August? I will be there for sure! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish I could have met you! Maybe in August....Beautiful work from everyone ~ you accomplished great results :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Melinda! I look forward to meeting you in August! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be published upon moderation.