Sunday, February 26, 2012

Ethiopian Opals Ring

I've never worked with opals before, but happened to see these on Magpie Gemstones Website, thought I might order a few and see what the muse could do with them. We played around with sterling silver coiled wire and came up with a sweet little ring. The wire was somewhat tarnished, so I threw the whole piece in the tumbler and let it run a few hours before it occurred to me that opals, being somewhat of a soft stone, might not fare too well rolling around with all that steel shot. Upon checking with my "opal expert" face book friends who concurred, I removed the piece....

oooops...

On the plus side, the silver was gleaming like the sun, but the experts were right, not a good idea, the opals had turned into little glassy globs, no opacity, no lovely flashes of blue and green....

sigh....

I was ready to write off the whole exercise as a learning experience when I noticed a few hours later that the opals were beginning to look a bit cloudy..... hmmmmm......perhaps they just absorbed some water.....maybe after thoroughly drying out??? So I let the piece dry over night, came in this afternoon and...

tadaaaaa!!!



18 comments:

  1. How wonderful they returned to their full beauty...I love them with the darkened wire...what an amazing ring.
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenni! It's a smaller size than I planned, but I'm not complaining.... :-)

      Delete
  2. so glad they returned to their natural beauty for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eva,
    The ring is so pretty and I am glad that it was not a disaster.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Therese, sometimes stupid luck is my best friend... :-)

      Delete
  4. Opals will absorb whatever moisture they can. That's why they stay more fiery if you wear them. The oils from our hands keep the stones moisturized. Or so I've been told.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather, no problem, I plan on wearing this one...a lot!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous ring, Eva! Opals actually need water. If you've ever been to the Natural History Museum and their rock/gemstone exhibit, you'll see a huge opal submerged in water! They need the moisture for theIr opalesence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie....putting a visit to the natural history museum on my to do list... :-)

      Delete
  6. Love the ring. Got some of those opals from Magpie Gemstones. They are to die for!!!
    The Ethiopian Opals supposedly get better the drier they are, hence what happened to your ring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks and yes, they really are lovely! What are you doing with yours?

      Delete
  7. Hi I have been enjoying your blog. Looks like you had a great time in Tucson too.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole, I love my job....if I made money it would be a bonus... :-)

      Delete
  8. I had had great results soaking my opals in olive oil...they retain their fire :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be published upon moderation.